Friday, October 2, 2009

The Perk of Moving

First of all, I'm a Coug, and will always be a Coug, however it's definitely been tough being a fan the past three years considering their program has gone down the potty.

I was lucky to have been going to school during their "good" years, that included everything from Mike Price (great coach no matter what happened down South), Jason Gesser, Marcus Trufant, Eric Coleman, and you can't forget Coach Rob Akey!

Football at that time was exciting to watch...defense won games and you can't forget the time you picked up the paper and your team was ranked #3 in the country.

OK, but that was the past and this is the present, and all I'm saying now is as bad as it sucks to move around all the time when you're in the broadcasting field, there are also some perks when it comes to following sports teams.

The only thing that has kept me from being a non-grieving Coug fan is the fact that I've found an interest in the teams I've covered along my journey as a sports reporter.

Most of it started when I was in Montgomery, AL, where there is no messing around with picking a team... you're either Auburn or Alabama.

Of course, I ended up covering Coach Tommy Tuberville and the Tigers more and found that this would be "my team," at least down South.

Aside from the fact that I ended up marrying an Auburn Alum, I still follow former players on Sunday, whether that be Ben Obomanu, Will Herring, Courntney Taylor, or Gerrard Powers.

And I still enjoy cheering for Auburn on Saturdays, even with their new coach Gene Chizik (he's slowly growing on me, but not sold yet).

Football isn't the only sport I covered in the South, baseball was also big considering we had the Montgomery Biscuits (AA for Tampa Bay).

Covering these guys during their back-to-back Southern League Championships, also made up for my struggling team back home...The Mariners.

Although I balanced a camera on my shoulders for nine innings, it was worth the sore back now that I get to see Evan Longoria tear things up in the MLB! (And yes I do like the Tampa Bay Rays and Mariners).

So two years later I get the gig up in Spokane (my hometown), this is when I realized it was time to face reality because I finally had to cover a losing team.

Although it was great to be back down at WSU again, it was not easy covering my Cougs.

Injury after injury, no steady QB, and a coaching staff that doesn't really fit.

But I held it together and separated being a fan from a sports reporter.

I don't know if it was a blessing in disguise or what but after a painful hernia surgery and being laid off from KXLY, I was back to covering teams that won.

Next stop, Missoula, MT...Home of the Griz!

After a heart-breaking loss last year in the championship game, the Griz are back with all their weapons, and I've once again adopted a team.

As for the Cougs, no matter how bad you might be, I will always be a fan no matter what!

But I'm not going to lie it's been fun adopting teams along the way...that's the real perk of moving!

No comments:

Post a Comment