Sunday, October 4, 2009

Congrats to the Vandals, Especially Coach Akey

I remember my freshman year at WSU, the only year I actully got to sit in the stands and watch a Coug football game (I worked for athletics the rest of my time there).

There was a group of us Pi Phis who would sit in the first row right behind defensive coach Rob Akey.

No matter what was happening on the field, I really didn't care, I just got a kick out of watching Coach Akey fire up his defense on the sideline.

He would jump up and down...yell at the top of his lungs (in a good way), and it worked because our defense was freakin' awesome!

As we all know, WSU lost Akey to our friends down in Idaho, where Akey has been, and is still the head coach of the Vandals.

Now talk about a program that looked as if they had little to no hope!

But after covering them last year and talking with Coach Akey every week and after every game, I could just see how much this team meant to him, and I truly believed that he would get them back on track.

This year the Vandals are off to a 4-1 start after beating Colorado State 31-29 last night in the Kibbie Dome.

Today at work, I came across the celebration video from last night, and I have never seen the Dome so packed, with so many happy fans.

Congrats to you Coach Akey, you are a coach that truly loves his players, and I wish Idaho the best of luck the rest of the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment